Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How Low Can You Go?

When it comes to Palin & McCain, the answer is: Rock Bottom. The latest ad from the McCain campaign shows the tragic depths to which their campaign has sunk. In it, they claim that Obama favors teaching sex education to kindergartners. The announcer derides Obama's education record by saying:

"Obama's one accomplishment? Legislation to teach 'comprehensive sex education' to kindergartners. Learning about sex before learning to read? Barack Obama. Wrong on education. Wrong for your family."

This utterly shameful ad refers to legislation, written and passed by the Illinois State Senate, that protects young children from sexual predators. It includes providing children with information about how to recognize inappropriate advances or touches. Here's what Obama said about it when debating Alan Keyes in the U.S. Senate race in 2004:


"We have an existing law that mandates sex education in the schools and we want to make sure that it's medically accurate and age appropriate. I have a 3 year old daughter and a six year old daughter and one of the things I talk about with my wife is the possibility of someone touching them inappropriately. And that's why [sex education] is in the law. So they can exercise some kind of protection against abuse." [Source: Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes Oct 21, 2004]

McCain-Palin are actually politicizing something as important as protecting children from predators. It's disgraceful and a new all-time low, even for them.

Let's see...Palin thinks the only type of sex education that should be taught is abstinence (that should come in handy for an innocent, unsuspecting child). McCain also believes in teaching abstinence, when he can remember what he actually believes. This amazing exchange came between McCain and a reporter while on board the "Straight Talk Express" bus in Iowa in 2007:

Reporter: “What about grants for sex education in the United States? Should they include instructions about using contraceptives? Or should it be Bush’s policy, which is just abstinence?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy.”

Reporter: “So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”

Reporter: “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”

Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian [Brian Jones, McCain Press Secretary], would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”

Take note parents - do you want McCain-Palin running the country with policies and statements like that?

No comments: